Sunday, 6 March 2016

Week Two - Class Three 07.03.16

EXPERIMENTING WITH LINE, SHAPE AND TONE

Making, Ideate


In todays lecture we had a brief look into semiotics, icons and symbols. In class, we began to think about our locations in relation to icons, symbols, line, tone, shape, colour, pattern and texture. At the beginning of the class I think I was quite reserved and narrow in my thinking, but once we got stuck into our observation exercises, I became more and more open-minded and experimental. It forced me to engage with my locations in a new way. 

Experimenting with the
different marks I can make
with charcoal
One exercise I found particularly interesting was cutting out
silhouettes of shapes, which also made an interesting
in-versed pattern in the paper I was cutting out from.
I tried to make very loose,
quick marks with ink


This was a really useful exercise for me as it changed my way of thinking and my attitude towards my locations and towards my way of making and approaching things. I will continue to experiment with different media and ways of mark making, and what these marks communicate before our next class. I also want to continue to experiment with Japaneese-style brush strokes, which is proving to be more difficult to achieve than I thought. I think I will watch some videos online and see how they achieve the shapes they do.