Sunday, 20 March 2016

Week Four - Class Seven 21.03.16

INTERIM PRESENTATIONS

Critique, Define, Ideate, Making, Understand

Todays critique was very interesting and useful for me. Firstly because we got to see other peoples designs, which gave me a lot of ideas. By looking at other people I realised that I really should start introducing colour to my text, making use of lines, and making my compositions more interesting and vibrant. 

Secondly, the critique of my own work made me realise a lot that I needed to change or improve in my layout and designs. The illustrations being cut off in the middle looked very awkward and really separated the text and illustrations. I realised that what I needed to do was to continue my illustrations onto the second page where they had been cropped. I also realised that my TJ Katsu page worked a lot better than all the others because of the layout of the text and so I used this layout for the rest of the locations as well, which also helped me to continue on the illustrations without getting in the way of the text. Another thing I noticed that wasn't working with my text layout on my other two locations was that the text being all on the left of the page left blank space leftover on the right, so I needed to shift them to the right of the page to use the negative space. In my Food and Drink page, there were too many headings, so I had to make them small and blood instead. I also increased the transparency of my Japanese text, starting introducing colour to my text, began using lines, and also started creating a map that was consistent with the styles of my illustrations. 






These layouts are still far from finished, but I will work on them to hopefully have them refined by Thursdays lesson. Because I have changed the layout of the text on my location pages, this now affects my Food and Drink and Wellington pages, so I will need to re-do these layouts to adapt to this change. I also need to find which colours work best, and also begin designing my information thumbnails, cover page and back page. I hope to have everything more or less 'completed' by next lesson as it is the last opportunity for a class critique before the break.