Week Three - Class Six 17.03.16
CRITIQUE OF LAYOUT VARIATIONS
Critique, Understand, Define, Making, Ideate
Todays critique was really useful. I printed out all of my iterations and other people were identifying the intended vibe and adjectives, however I realised that there was a lot wrong with my compositions! Firstly, the vertical text which I thought looked cool and Japanese yesterday, I now realise looks very stupid and wrong. I had hyphenation on when it shouldn't have been, I have widows, the type is too large and the leading is too tight, things aren't aligned, I have not pulled out appropriate hierarchies, text is in the wrong order, I have not considered legibility and I have not related or integrated the illustration with the text.
![]() |
| This is the layout I initially thought was my strongest once I had aligned the text. |
![]() |
| I then realised that the vertical text was not readable and also looked like a strange shape rather than text. |
![]() |
| Once I had worked out how to import Japanese text I tested how it looked in different positions. I really liked this one as everything appeared balanced. |
I definitely don't think that this spread is fully resolved, but I have made a lot of progress! Before next lesson I plan to have all three of my locations fully resolved, as well as the introductory spreads. I will first work on resolving this first location, and simultaneously the introductory spread, as these will inform each other and cannot be designed in isolation from one another. Once I have this resolved, the other two locations will be a lot easier to design as they will follow a consistent style and treatment of elements. I will continue to print these out full scale as I go, as well as continuing to gather artist models and brochure examples.





