Thursday, 3 March 2016

Week One - Class One 29.02.16

UNDERSTANDING THE BRIEF AND BRAINSTORMING

Define, Ideate, Making


After going through the brief and brainstorming, I decided that I was most interested by the Food & Drink topic. I began collecting ideas by visiting a library and looking through cook books, to see how other designers has communicated food and drink through design. 

One book which stood out to me was Tokyo Cult Recipes, because it's simplicity, stillness and Japanese style design was such a contrast to all the other books. This inspired me to begin taking photographs in sushi places around Wellington (see photos to the right), and although I also took photos in cafes and explored op-shops, the sushi idea excited me the most. I was originally planning on doing cafes, but my matrix revealed that my locations were too similar and I found it difficult to choose cafes and op-shops that were different enough from each other. 

After visiting different sushi places and brainstorming, I decided to filter sushi places through 'time'. A take-away sushi place for people on the go, a sit-down sushi place for people with a little more time on their hands, and a sushi train for people who are planning to take their time. This idea will be the basis of my design.
A double page spread from Tokyo Cult Recipes
Tokyo Cult Recipes cover
A page from Tokyo cult recipes